Income Tax DepartmentIncome Tax Form
Pursuant to Ohio Revised Code 718.05 (G)(1)(a), the State of Ohio has extended the tax filing due date for 2020 tax returns to May 17, 2021. Accordingly, the City of Amherst has also adopted this extended due date. If there are any more changes, please check our website for updates.
Due to current public health concerns surrounding COVID-19, the Income Tax office will not be open to the public.
Completed returns, tax documents, payments and extension requests may be dropped off in the new drop off slot located in the north window on the front of the San Spring building, located at 480 Park Ave. Staff will be available Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm to answer questions by phone at 440-988-4212.
Tax Preparation Services Available
Even though we are unable to prepare tax returns face-to-face, we will prepare returns from documents that are mailed in or placed in the drop off slot. Taxpayers can drop off their tax information 24 hours a day. Your information will be stored in a secure area until it can be retrieved by office personnel.
Your return will be prepared by our staff based on the information you provide. Along with a copy of the first page of your IRS 1040 form, it will be necessary to include a copy of each W2 form, any IRS forms showing income or loss such as Schedule C, E, or F and 1099s showing miscellaneous income not being reported on an IRS Schedule C. Please include your phone number in case we need to reach you for further information. Your tax return will be prepared and mailed to you for signature and payment.
Income Tax Form
In addition to being able to download and print the Income Tax Form, it is also a fillable PDF form when opened with Adobe Acrobat Reader (Download Adobe Acrobat Reader). To use the Income Tax Form as a fillable PDF, please see the instructions below for assistance.
Previous Years Income Tax Forms
Instructions for Opening as a Fillable PDF
As an alternative to filling out the Income Tax Form by hand, we also provide the Income Tax Form as a fillable PDF which allows you to enter your information directly onto the form, the form will complete all calculations for you and allow you to save the completed form electronically for your future reference.
NOTE: In order to activate the fillable functions of the form, you MUST open the above document in Adobe Acrobat Reader (Download Adobe Acrobat Reader). Two options to use the fillable PDF correctly:
- If you are comfortable with downloading, finding and opening files from the internet:
- Download the Fillable Income Tax Form PDF by clicking here or on the “FILLABLE PDF: 2019 Income Tax Form – Fillable PDF” link above.
- The PDF will open in your browser in a new tab (window) where you can then download the file.
- Open the downloaded PDF titled “Amherst_2018_FR_Fillable.pdf” in Adobe Acrobat Reader. NOTE: In order for the form to work correctly, you MUST open and use the file in the Adobe Acrobat Reader application (NOT the browser plug-in / extension).
- If you’re not sure where to find the files you download from the internet:
- Right-Click on the “FILLABLE PDF: 2019 Income Tax Form – Fillable PDF” link (here or above).
- Select “Save Link As…” (or “Save target as”)
- A window will open, allowing you to select the location where you want to download the PDF to. Save the PDF in your chosen location.
- Do NOT click on the downloaded file from within the browser window, unless you have the option to “Open In Adobe Reader”. (Depending on your browser settings, by attempting to open the downloaded file from within your browser may open the document in a new browser window as opposed to the Adobe Acrobat Reader application.)
- Navigate to the folder location where you downloaded the PDF titled “Amherst_2019_FR_Fillable.pdf”.
- Open the file in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
If you experience any difficulties, please call the Income tax office for assistance.